Friday, July 23, 2010

Post Partum Grumbles

I have discovered what, in my opinion, is one of the most annoying parts of being postpartum. Hair loss. I practically dread getting in the shower to wash my hair, as I watch in horror as clumps of hair leave my head and wave goodbye as they get sucked down the drain.

I've never been one to usually have long hair. I was one more known for the short pixie looks, bobs, and so forth. Well somehow I have acquired the longest hair I have ever had. It's all the way down to my chest, or mid-back. I have naturally fine, curly hair, and it's become quite the burden to do anything with.

I keep reasoning with myself that I want to keep it long to enjoy having long hair for the first time, and have even eluded a simple hair cut or trim for the last two years. I'm rather appalled by how unhealthy my hair ends are. How did it all come to this?

Living with a constant bun/pony-tail has gotten so boring, and makes me feel super drab and completely unfashionable (coupled with the fact that most of what I wear nowadays comes from my husband's side of the closet) and self conscious.

How are other mothers coping with this sad side effect? I knew it would come, this constant hair-shedding, but I guess I didn't understand just how much would actually come out. How long does this last? Should I just go back to having short hair?

Grumble grumble.

It's good to know, I suppose, that it's not a going bald type of thing.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, so my hair has been shedding and I haves super long hair.

    I think it just sheds and you just have to choose if you want to deal with it or not. Haha.

    I feel like... if i can just blow dry and straighten my hair once... I'll go with it, and I love it. Just take your time and do what you can WHEN you can. If you have a moment... decide that you will do something for YOU. It's a hard world of balancing acts and wearing many hats, but you will find YOUR normal.

    Love you to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm your newest follower! Follow me back at MommyIsCrafty if you would like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugghh! My hair didn't fall out for a few months after I had my son so I thought I was in the clear...not so much! It started falling out in gobs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I that is what is happening to me, the first two, I don't think it bothered me at all, then it was just suddenly SO much!

    ReplyDelete